As an online business owner, you know that content is king!
It drives traffic.
It provides your audience with the value and information they seek.
It also helps you market your business, products or services.
Content is essential for online marketing but you can only achieve greater success if you take the time to plan your content.
What Is Content Planning?
Content planning is simply the process of taking a look at your calendar and deciding what to write and where to publish it.
Content planning involves a few primary criteria:
- When will you publish the content?
- Where will you publish it?
- What will you write about?
- What’s the purpose of the content?
- What are your keywords?
- How can you repurpose the content?
You’ll also want to consider how far ahead to plan your content calendar. Some business owners take a tiered approach and plan large content projects for the entire year. For example, they may plan to publish a report each month and review their content on a quarterly or monthly level.
So if you aren’t currently planning your content or are struggling to plan it effectively, consider the following tips:
- Use a calendar that gives you a big picture. A paper desk calendar is a great planning tool because you can write your content ideas in pencil for easy modifications. Then, if you prefer electronic organization, you can transfer the paper plan to your Outlook or e-calendar.
- Plan how you’ll integrate your content into your marketing strategy. For example, you could decide that in March you’re going to publish ten articles on article directories. You’ll also want to make sure this content ties into any season or holiday.
- You’ll also want to ensure it supports any new products or services. Design the content to drive traffic to your website or drive traffic to a sales page or increase your opt-ins.
- Leave room for change. The best content plans leave room for inspiration. The greatest ideas often come when you least expect them so if you’re wanting to create a perfect plan and don’t allow room to add your content inspiration into the mix, then you’re missing out on opportunities and setting yourself up for failure
- Finally, don’t forget to factor in ways to re-purpose your content. It’s not only a great way to get the most return on investment, it can help fill content gaps.
When you plan your content, make sure you’re looking at all pictures – big and small! Look ahead and take the entire year into consideration but at the same time, be sure you also plan for the smaller details right down to the keywords and topics.
Yes, planning your content for the entire year may take some time but it will save you tons of time down the road. Now instead of sitting down each week and trying to decide what to post, you have a ready made content schedule designed to keep your blog active, support your marketing efforts and put you closer to experiencing better business success.
Leave me a comment below and let me know how you plan your content.
To Your Success…